Saturday 21 November 2009

David Farrer @ Rebecca Hossack Gallery




'My favored subject matter is ecological, having a strong interest in 'green' matters. My work reflects this. The recycled head concept came about four years ago while working in South Africa. Over the years I have traveled extensively in this part of the world and never cease to be amazed by its beauty and abundant wildlife. From an outsiders point of view however, there seem to be curious contradictions in the country in more ways than one. There are admirable wildlife protection policies in operation, yet hunting and specifically trophy gathering remains big business too. I decided to bridge the gap by producing a 'recycled trophy,' that would satisfy the urge to hang an animal head on the wall but provoke pro-ecological thought.
Made primarily from old magazines (and as a feature they remain obviously so) they are an alternative - lacking the implications of the 'real thing' and incorporating modern ideals of recycling and conservation, with a touch of humour thrown in too! Individual pieces contain 'recycled extras' for added realism. I am friends with my village farrier who supplies me with horse hair and the occasional equine tooth.

Although the idea was born in Africa I have diversified into European and North American beasts such as deer, bears, moose and bulls, which to some sections of the public have more 'local' familiar appeal'.
David Farrer