Friday 30 October 2009

Boo Ritson @ Poppy Sebire/Alan Cristea Gallery


I recently visited The Gas Station part of the Boo Ritson Back-roads Journeys exhibition at Poppy Sebire. The work completely took my breath away. I've always admired Boo Ritson's style of working; painting thick layers of paint on live subjects. But this exhibition sees her developing her art further creating a portfolio of work which is even more fantastic and intense. Her subjects are dominantly white washed in thick white paint whilst a selected area is painted in colour. The compositions are perfect and the contrast of colour and white space encourages you to study the image further, and decipher the contents hidden in the whitewashed areas. Absoloutely amazing!!!
I also managed to squeeze in a visit to Part 2 of her show, Back-Roads Journeys which was a great continuation of the work shown at Poppy Sebire. Although I'm not so keen on her new series of screenprints on plexiglass, I personally found them awkward and crude in comparison to her photographs.
The Alan Cristea Gallery was also selling a brochure in the shape/style of a diner menu, a great concept for the brochure unfortunately it was £5 and I just couldn't bring myself around to buying one.